10 Interesting Facts about Tardigrades! Are Tardigrades immortal? Can Tardigrades Survive outer space ? Here is the list of top 10 Interesting Facts about Tardigrades! Okay this isn’t exactly a fun fact, but it is interesting!
1. Tardigrades are older than dinosaurs!! Almost about 530 million years.
2. Tardigrades have 4 pairs of legs and have each leg has claws.
3. Tardigrades form a specialized state called ‘tun” which helps them survive extreme conditions.
4. The diet of Tardigrades includes bacteria and plants cells and they eat by digging their dagger like teeth into them.
5. They can survive for many years without food and water.
Don’t Know What Tardigrades Are? – Learn Here
6. Tardigrades can survive temperatures about 151̊ Celsius as well as -200̊ Celsius.
7. Under certain conditions they reproduce sexually whereas under some conditions they can also reproduce asexually.
8. The young ones of Tardigrades are born with their entire set of cells. The cells merely expand in size, as the Tardigrade grows.
9. They can repair DNA damage caused by X ray radiation.
10. They have been known to survive space!
Get stories like this one in your inbox: Sign up for our email and Subscribe Now To Get The Most Anticipated Edition Of Starry Stories Magazine For Free.
Read more Articles from Life Sciences
1. Read about CRISPR Gene Editing Explained for Kids
2. Read about the Did You Just Spot a Cheetah a Leopard and a Jaguar
3. Read about the The Secret Lives of Tardigrades
4. Read about the Chlorophyll and Haemoglobin – An Unlikely Connection
5. Read about the What is the True Colour of the Coronavirus?
6. Read about Why Do Fish Not Freeze in Cold Water?
7. Read the Most Searched Google Question and Answers about Tardigrades!
Proteomic Analysis of Tardigrades: Towards a Better Understanding of Molecular Mechanisms by Anhydrobiotic Organisms
Schokraie E, Hotz-Wagenblatt A, Warnken U, Mali B, Frohme M, et al. (2010) Proteomic Analysis of Tardigrades: Towards a Better Understanding of Molecular Mechanisms by Anhydrobiotic Organisms. PLOS ONE 5(3): e9502. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0009502
Saunri Dhodi Lobo is pursuing M.Sc in Life Sciences with specialization in Neurobiology. Her interests include writing poetry, going for nature walks and swimming. Currently she is involved in research on Alzheimer’s Disease in fruit flies.
Read all Articles by Saunri Dhodi Lobo
Guriya Kumari is an illustrator at Starry Stories and is currently pursuing her bachelor’s degree course in political science. She is passionate about art and wants to acquire new trends in the art field along with personality advancement. Her goal is to create a unique artwork style of her own.
1 thought on “10 Interesting Facts about Tardigrades”