A partial lunar eclipse will occur on 18-19th November 2021 will be the longest partial lunar eclipse of the 21st century. In a partial eclipse some part of the moon surface falls under the umbral region (dark region) of earth and the remaining will be in the penumbral region.

This upcoming lunar eclipse is a micro moon (moon is at apogee: the farthest point from the earth) partial lunar eclipse where 97% of the moon’s surface falls under the umbral region and remaining 3% will be in the penumbral region. 

This eclipse is visible for the people who are on the night side of the earth. It is visible from North and South America, Australia, Pacific region and parts of Europe and Asia. This eclipse lasts for 3hours 28 minutes 23 seconds and the total duration of the partial eclipse is 6 hrs 1mins.

longest partial lunar eclipse
November 19th, Friday
Stages of partial lunar eclipse

Beginning of the penumbral eclipse (First contact): Earth’s penumbra touches the Moon’s outer limb.

Beginning of the partial eclipse (Second contact): Earth’s umbra touches the Moon’s outer limb.

Beginning of the total eclipse (Third contact): The Moon’s surface is entirely within Earth’s umbra.

Greatest eclipse: The peak stage of the total eclipse, where the Moon is at its closest to the center of Earth’s umbra.

End of the total eclipse (Fourth contact): The Moon’s outer limb exits Earth’s umbra.

End of the partial eclipse (Fifth contact): Earth’s umbra leaves the Moon’s surface. 

End of the penumbral eclipse (Sixth contact): Earth’s penumbra no longer makes contact with the Moon.

 

When and where to watch?

Can we watch the longest partial lunar eclipse of the 21st century in India?

In India it is visible only for the people living in extreme parts of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh for a very short period of time. 

 

Longest Partial Lunar Eclipse

 

Next partial lunar eclipse will be on 28-29th October 2023

 

Quick facts about the longest partial lunar eclipse of the 21st century

longest partial lunar eclipse

Did you know?

A lunar eclipse will not come alone, if a lunar eclipse occurs it will be followed by a solar eclipse 2 weeks ahead or later. There will be a total solar eclipse that is going to occur on December 4th 2021. 

 

Watch the video about partial lunar eclipse in Telugu

 

Get stories like this one in your inbox: Sign up for our email and Subscribe Now To Get The Most Anticipated Edition Of Starry Stories Magazine For Free.

 

Best of Starry Stories

1. Read about the The Physics of Floating Ball

2. Read about the Did You Just Spot a Cheetah a Leopard and a Jaguar

3. Read about the Which is the Largest Delta in the World?

4. Read about the Chlorophyll and Haemoglobin – An Unlikely Connection

5. Read about the What is the True Colour of the Coronavirus?

6. Read about Why Do Fish Not Freeze in Cold Water?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.