Life Sciences deals with everything that involves living organisms. The following is a list of books to read that will pique your interest in Life Sciences. The books are written in simple language and you do not have to be an expert in science to understand them, all you need is curiosity.
Author: Yuval Noah Harari
For many of us who have asked how man came to be as he is now, this book reviews the entire process of evolution of man right from the cognitive revolution to present times.
Check out Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
2. The Tell -Tale Brain
Author: V.S. Ramachandran
This book delves into the mysteries of the brain and gives us a brief glimpse into what the field of neuroscience has to offer us. The end of the book will leave you longing to be a neuroscientist.
3. The Gene: an intimate history
Author: Siddhartha Mukherjee.
The writer gives us a glance into the history of genes and genetic research through the ages and also questions the use of genetic technologies.
All Images of Books Redirect to Amazon Store!
4. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
Author: Elizabeth Kolbert
The book gives a brief account of all the previous mass extinctions and describes the current situation.
5. The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA
Author: James Watson
This is one of the must-read books before stepping into the field of life sciences.
6. The Selfish Gene
Author: Richard Dawkins
This book explores the principles of natural selection and evolution and gives a view about the human context.
7. The emotional lives of animals
Author: Marc Bekoff
If you love animals, you must read this book which provides a delightful insight into animal emotions through the writer’s personal experiences.
8. 10% Human: How your Body’s Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness
Author: Alanna Collen.
This book explores the world of microorganism like bacteria and fungi that live in your body and how they affect you.
9. Buzz: The Nature and Necessity of bees
Author: Thor Hanson
One might not always give importance to the tiny bees, but this book shows us just how important they are and how they connect humans with nature.
10. Women in Science- 50 Fearless Pioneers who changed the world
Written and illustrated by Rachel Ignotofsky.
This beautifully illustrated book highlights the lives and contributions of 50 women from fields like Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and inspires you to pursue your passion in the face of all difficulties.
Disclaimer: Starry Stories is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Starry Stories.
Read more Articles from Life Sciences
1. Read about What are Life Sciences and Careers in Life Sciences
2. Read the Most Searched Google Question and Answers about Tardigrades! – What do tardigrades eat on the moon? Can tardigrades die? Are Tardigrades dangerous?
3. Read about the The Secret Lives of Tardigrades
4. Read the Top 10 Interesting Facts about Tardigrades
Saunri Dhodi Lobo is pursuing M.Sc in Life Sciences with specialization in Neurobiology. Her interests include writing poetry, going for nature walks and swimming. Currently she is involved in research on Alzheimer’s Disease in fruit flies.
Read all Articles by Saunri Dhodi Lobo